Salary $89,983.00 – $112,479.00 Annually
Location Seattle, WA
Job Type Full-Time
Department Design, Engineering & Construction Management
Job Number 18-01470
Under general direction, performs advanced level professional duties involved in serving as senior technical expert and team leader for assigned project control functions of managing master schedules, cost and schedule tracking and analysis for the Project Controls Division of DECM; assumes responsibility for a variety of project control activities including, reviewing, analyzing, and updating design, right of way (ROW), permitting, third-party and construction activity on assigned contracts; evaluates project costs and schedule trends to ensure timely, accurate, and critical project progress reporting; oversees change management and progress payment processes; provides input into contracting process, including bid analysis and consulting on selection/award; updates and maintains schedule risk models for ongoing risk assessments; ensures adherence to adopted policies and procedures related to procurement, contract, and project administration; provides technical expertise and trains assigned team members on organizational processes and procedures; and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Project Controls Manager, Scheduling, Cost Estimating, Risk and VE, and the Director of Project Controls.
The following duties are a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
• Leads, coordinates, schedules, assigns, and reviews the work activities of assigned staff, consultants, and contractors; assigns work activities and coordinates schedules, projects, and programs; provides constructive feedback; reviews and evaluates work and makes effective suggestions and recommendations.
• Manages and implements scheduling tools for Agency including Oracle Primavera P6 R16.2, Microsoft Project, Acumen Fuse and Primavera Risk Analysis; updates and maintains assigned project(s) master schedule, including third party/permitting, right of way (ROW), planned construction activities, and contract procurement; provides timely schedule reports to project management team; maintains schedule enterprise structure in database; performs schedule “what-if” analysis and recommends corrective, mitigating or improvement actions to project team; provides input to contracting process, including bid analysis and consulting on selection/award and prepares schedule analysis in support of negotiations with consultants/contractors; participates in the development and implementation of scheduling procedures and contract specifications.
• Reviews and approves baseline and monthly updates for design schedules and contractor submittals for assigned project(s) final design and system design consultants; supervises and oversees scheduling work by design consultants; creates, updates and maintains schedule risk models for ongoing risk assessments for assigned project(s); updates monthly schedule reporting template for the Agency Progress Report; creates new schedule graphics and reporting tools as projects move from design into construction; reviews monthly schedule status and issues for assigned project(s); reviews design package construction schedule and specifications submitted by design consultants.
• Serves as senior technical expert for critical project controls functions for assigned project(s); analyzes project schedules to identify trends and potential risks; provides cost forecasting support, and provides cost at completion projections; recommends resolutions to critical scope, schedule and cost issues; participates in the change management and progress payment processes for assigned projects; provides timely, accurate and thoughtful project progress reporting; ensures adherence to adopted policies and procedures by internal and external project team members; and communicates and coordinates with other third party personnel external to the agency.
• Develops project control policies and procedures for assigned project(s), including Work Breakdown Structure; recommends improvements to all project control policies and procedures; leads the administration of special assigned processes working budget amendments and betterment agreements; serves as project control representative and technical expert on several special teams; provides assistance to the project control manager on procedural and organizational issues when requested.
• Provides training and instruction to project control and other agency staff, both within and outside of DECM; provides technical expertise and problem solving assistance as needed; and provides training and guidance on policies and procedures pertaining to the administration of contracts.
• Performs a variety of reporting duties; provides support to project managers in the preparation of project progress reporting; performs a variety of analysis including forecasting and trending, cash flow modeling, critical path analysis, and related analysis; prepares cost loaded CPM schedules; provide cash-flow analysis report; assist with the preparation of risk assessments and specialized reports.
• Provides support to the Project Controls Manager, Scheduling, Cost Estimating, Risk and VE, and the Director of Project Controls and others on matters as directed; serves as staff on a variety of committees as assigned; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence; attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; incorporates new developments as appropriate; ensures processes, policies and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to integrate sustainability into everyday business practices.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors Degree in construction management, architecture, engineering, business administration, or closely related field and six years of construction schedule management experience that includes project lead responsibilities, cost and schedule tracking and analysis; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Possession of valid State Driver’s License.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
Planning and Scheduling Professional (PSP) certification.
Required Knowledge of:
• Operations, services, and activities of an engineering principles and practices of civil engineering.
• Basic engineering principles.
• Understanding of construction methods, scheduling theory, basic engineering principles, Oracle Primavera P6 scheduling software experience, organizational skills.
• Design documents, Internet, software manuals, and proven practical experience.
• Principles and practices of program development and administration.
• Critical Path Scheduling.
• Engineering consulting services and methods.
• Contract and procurement strategies and management principles.
• Policy and procedure development and administration.
• Tracking project performance through Earned Value Management metrics.
• Risk assessment and strategic planning.
• Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
• Techniques to work effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, and adjust to changing priorities.
• Principles and practices of governmental budget preparation and administration.
• Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and statistical databases.
• Supervisory/lead principles, methods and techniques.
Required Skill in:
• Utilizing personal computer software programs affecting assigned work and in compiling and preparing spreadsheets and reports.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, management, vendors, outside agencies, community groups and the general public.
• Interpreting and administering policies and procedures sufficient to administer, discuss, resolve, and explain them to staff and other constituencies.
• Applying principles and practices of civil engineering related to area of assignment.
• Demonstrating a positive customer service orientation with both internal and external clients.
• Reviewing, interpreting, and analyzing complex engineering plans, drawings, specifications, contract documents, and engineering reports for conformance to professional standards and approved budgets.
• Managing and developing master schedules and performing cost and schedule tracking and analysis for assigned project controls projects.
• Presentation development and public speaking skills.
• Applying appropriate oral and written communication techniques to various individuals.
• Interpreting and applying applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
• Preparing and analyzing data and comprehensive reports.
• Applying project management and program development techniques and principles.
• Working cooperatively with other departments, Agency officials, and outside agencies.
• Monitoring departmental and program/project operating budgets, costs, and schedules.
• Leading and delegating daily tasks, communicating, and providing feedback and work direction to assigned staff/consultants.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
• Work is performed in a standard office environment.
• Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 25 pounds; may occasionally be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, potential physical harm, hazardous chemicals, and extreme noise when visiting construction sites and working in the field.
• The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.
Sound Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment action based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or other protected class.
Click hereA�for AACE International’s career and mentoring center.
To post your job openings here contact firstname.lastname@example.org